I wrote about Redwings Horse Sanctuary and the Amersham case in If Wishes Were Horses. Spindles Farm in Amersham was a horror show: dozens of horses in a state of starvation and neglect that was hard to comprehend. Redwings were instrumental in coordinating the rescue, and are still caring for many of the horses. Here’s one of them kicking up his hairy heels for joy.
Zoooooom! That’s the way to do it! While researching another piece I found this footage of a young competitor at the National Side Saddle Show in Buckinghamshire in 2008.
- mutilated pony found in Hampshire ditch, police say “it would appear that its body has been mutilated to prevent it from being identified or its owners traced.”
- filly with broken neck found in Buckinghamshire. “It was emaciated, had a broken neck and both hind legs were bound together and the rope tied to a gatepost. It is thought that the pony was tied to the gate while on the back of a trailer and was pulled off the vehicle and onto the road as it moved off.”
- pony freezes to death after being trapped in a lake in Carmarthenshire.
- Devon man caught on CCTV committing bestiality with horses over ten month period.
- a herd of seventy stray, abandoned horses is causing chaos in Llanelli.
- a seventeen-year-old Australian teenager has been charged with animal cruelty after dragging a Shetland pony stallion behind his car on Christmas day.
Good news? Good news there is!
- Anapka the parasailing Russian donkey has a new home.
- fourteen of the most vulnerable horses rescued from Spindles Farm by the Horse Trust are now thriving.
- the wonderful Horse Rescue Fund in Norfolk is preparing for a springtime sponsored walk to raise money. They’re a great small charity who re-home most of their horses and have been campaigning against the live transport of horses for slaughter for decades. I knew a couple of their rescues – Woodstock and Orlando – at Cringleford Riding School in the eighties. One of their current residents snapped by me, below: