- Professional child jockeys (as young as 4) in Indonesia (SBS)
- Virtual racehorses on the game Digiturf sell for $7,000 and $9,000. (ESPN)
- The Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration goes ahead, although welfare concerns knock out some leading competitors. DIg into the comments here. (Tennessean)
- The number of horses slaughtered in Ireland this year appears to have fallen by half since 2012 – a good thing. The government are still organising a horse disposal scheme. (Irish Independent)
- Mongolians and their horses (The Diplomat)
- The results of a study into the deaths of feral walers culled by helicopter gunmen in Australia. (Horse Talk NZ)
YouTuber and Brony XtremeScope has posted some modified versions of the game Skyrim, keeping in line with the current My Little Pony fetish. Which would you rather, a giant Sparkle Pony Pops…
… or one in which the game’s dragons have been transformed into fire-breathing dragons tht attack a village?
I’ve kept a weather eye on the “Brony” phenomenon (male geeks who love My Little Pony cartoons) and even done a post about it, although I’m not as excited as the rest of the media who keep bronies constantly in the news and all over the blogosphere. These stories piqued my interest though, so here’s a brief round up from Planet Pony:
- The Berlin Pirate Party have introduced “pony time” into their rules of procedure, meaning that during meetings and debates any member can request time out to watch My Little Pony cartoons. Original story in German here, and translated into English here. Thanks to Matt for spotting this.
- Fancy dress at the Bronycon gathering. This included the presentation of the results of a psycho-sociological study of bronyism.
- The New York Times threw geeks into ecstasies by publishing a brony-related correction.
- A brony clarifies a few points for Gawker, and reveals that female bronies are called “Pegasisters”.
- You can build your own MLP at General Zoi’s Pony Creator. Hours of fun! Here’s mine:
This really rather cute internet game was devised by a little girl called Cassie and her dad, who provide the game for free but accept any donations that players would like to make towards Cassie’s college fund. Remember, ponycorns are the best thing in the world cuz they’re like ponies AND unicorns!
Fan art? Spoof? A My Little Pony fan cut together this video of the trailer for a new computer game called Skyrim with clips from MLP cartoons and created ‘The Elder Scrolls 6: Equestria’. More here from Andy Chalk on The Escapist, who actually knows what he’s talking about (unlike me).
It’s almost as good as Apocalypse Pony – an old favourite which sadly I can’t find in a clearer format, but here you go: